Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Yukina Savoy Frittata - June 9, 2010


Frittata of Yukina Savoy and Wild Rice on Yukina Savoy Greens with Mustard Vinaigrette

This qualifies as a 'kitchen sink' dinner. I dug around in the fridge and found a motley assortment of ingredients to use and decided to make a frittata, which lends itself well to that sort of thing. Half an onion, which I caramelized, leftover wild rice, a handful of dried cranberries, chopped toasted hazelnuts, and green garlic, which I chopped, all went into a bowl to be mixed together. The star of the show, however, was the big bunch of yukina savoy from the CSA share. I separated the leaves from the stalks and set the leaves aside. I chopped the stalks into half inch pieces and sauteed them until soft and tossed them into the bowl as well. I roughly chopped a handful of the leaves and stirred them into the mix. The rest I reserved for a salad dressed with a simple mustard vinaigrette. To the bowl I added some beaten eggs, salt, pepper and a pinch of cayenne. This I mixed well and cooked in a cast iron skillet on the stove top and finished under the broiler to make a yummy frittata. We served it with the fresh yukina savoy greens on the side. It was a delightful meal and helped clear out some fridge space.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails