Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Brats with Baked Beans and Spinach Salad - May 31, 2010


The Official Memorial Day Cookout Meal

I thought I'd give you a few more details about our Memorial Day cookout. Nick grilled brats purchased from Braucher's Sun Shine Harvest Farm. The brats are a mixture of beef and pork, so they taste different from the traditional all pork version. These were delicious, although when all is said and done, I do prefer the pork standard. Pictured is mine with mustard and ketchup, the presence of which might offend some of you purists (i.e. Nick). We had homemade whole wheat buns to accompany our sausage. The beans were from a recipe from Ina Garten (The Barefoot Contessa at Home). I hated baked beans growing up, but I thought it was time to give them another try. Beans, bacon, brown sugar, maple syrup...how could they be bad? Well, it turns out that I still don't much care for baked beans. Crazy, I know, but I think I have an aversion to their sweetness (which is weird because usually I'm a sugar-hound). Nick loved them, as I am certain anybody who likes baked beans would. In the future, I will choose to keep my legumes on the savory side. And, last but not least, we added a little green to our plate with a simple spinach salad.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Fay Campbell said...

I do worry sometimes. . . don't like baked beans? Very odd, indeed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails