Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Farro and Arugula Nests - June 15, 2010


Nest of Farro and Arugula with Garlic Scapes, Bacon and Poached Egg

Farro has been on my list of grains to try. Unfortunately, I had been having trouble finding it in my usual bulk sections. This past Friday, however, afforded me a chance to peruse what I think is the best bulk section in the area, the one inside Valley Natural Foods Co-op. And what do you suppose I found? Farro. For dinner last night I cooked some, mixed it with some cooked bacon and sauteed garlic scapes and piled it on a bed of arugula. I poached some darling little pullet eggs that we snagged from Braucher's at the Kingfield Farmers' Market a week ago, and placed one atop each bowl. The result looked just like a savory little nest, and tasted delectable. I really enjoyed the farro, which is similar in consistency to barley, but has a nutty, wheat-y flavor that is slightly different from the latter. I am going to have to do a mixed grain breakfast cereal one of these weekends using some of my fun new (to me) finds.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails