Thursday, June 03, 2010

Warm Barley Salad - June 2, 2010


Barley Salad with Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Thyme and Love Tree Farm Cheese


Love Tree Farms Grilled Cedar Sheep's Milk Cheese

I had purchased some hulled barley awhile back and it had just been sitting on the shelf as most of the recipes I'd come across called for pearled barley. I had been kind of glum thinking I had made a foolish purchase. Well last night I did some research and found out that hulled barley is actually more nutrient dense than pearled because it has been processed less. Yay, my choice is redeemed. It takes a little longer to cook, but only by 30 minutes. Also, I read recommendations to soak it overnight, but I skipped that part (I don't soak my beans either) and it turned out just fine. For dinner, I sauteed some diced onion, sliced mushrooms, chopped canned tomatoes, and fresh thyme; toasted some pine nuts; mixed everything into my cooked barley and topped it with some Love Tree Farm cheese (love it!). During my research last night it also dawned on me that barley is one of the main ingredients in beer. Why am I not eating it all the time? This will not be the last you see of barley around here.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails