Friday, June 18, 2010

Strawberry Cream Puffs - June 18, 2010


Strawberry Cream Puffs (Open-Faced to Show Off the Berries)

We received three pints of the most delicious strawberries I think I have ever had from Harmony Valley yesterday. I'm not sure if these are Earliglow or Darselect varieties, or a mixture of both, but they are tiny and so so sweet. These are very different from the berries I picked last week, which were quite a bit larger with a much subtler flavor. This recipe is from the latest issue of Food & Wine magazine and I thought it would be perfect. It's the first time I've ever made cream puffs from scratch and they came together surprisingly well (lord knows I'm no pastry chef). I can't say if this is true of all cream puff recipes, but this one was quite easy and not particularly time consuming. The vanilla cream was a little more labor intensive and didn't turn out quite as well as I'd hoped, but it was still very edible. Next time I might use a creme fraiche or even ricotta in it's stead. The stars of the show, however, were the strawberries. Mixed with some fresh, chopped tarragon (substitute as you'd like here...mint, basil, lavender...if you don't like tarragon) and turbinado sugar, I could have eaten these simply on their own for dessert. The recipe also called for a strawberry glaze, which I omitted, but would definitely help the dish if your strawberries are a little flat in the flavor department.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails