Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Cake and Ice Cream - June 29, 2009


Home-made Angel Food Cake with Balsamic Strawberry Ice Cream

The beautiful, and very ripe, strawberries we bought at the Farmers' Market on Sunday were the inspiration for this flavor of ice cream. Also, there used to be a great little gelato shop in Calhoun Square that sold a balsamic fig flavor that I loved. Since strawberries and balsamic are a classic flavor combo, I thought I'd give it a try in ice cream. I followed the recipe for straight-up strawberry ice cream that came with my Kitchen Aid attachment except that I added about 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar reduction to the macerating strawberries and let the mixture sit overnight. The ice cream is dreamy, although the balsamic is very subtle, so I might add more next time. The cake was necessary due to my ice cream recipe calling for 8 egg yolks. What to do with all those whites? This was a tasty answer to that question. Thus, in one sense, we were just eating a dressed-up version of a deconstructed egg for dessert.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails