Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cherry and Mazipan Turnovers - July 14, 2009


Sour Cherry and Marzipan Turnovers

To celebrate Bastille Day I decided to make pastries. Actually I didn't make the pastry, I bought it pre-made and frozen, to which the French would probably (and rightfully so) turn up their epicurean noses in condescension. To redeem myself, if only in the eyes of the French, I made my own marzipan.

Marzipan pre-kneading


Marzipan post-kneading

The marzipan turned out very well, considering it was my first attempt. I love when I find out something I thought to be mysterious and complicated actually turns out to be relatively simple to make at home. OK, on to the cherries.


Hand Pitted Meteor Cherries

Aren't they lovely? Worth their weight in gold, these ones. Grown right in our own front yard. I am waiting for the day I can say to friends and neighbors, "Please come and take some of these cherries off my hands, I have more than I care to use." But until then, I guard my little harvest like a jealous lover. JJ assures me that as the tree matures I will get more fruit. I dream of that day, my friends.


Turnover filling

I used the sour cherry turnover recipe from Food and Wine that you can find right here. This recipe is fantastic as is, but of course I meddled with it. Instead of flavoring the cherries with vanilla, I used almond extract. Also, I omitted making the lemon butter filling because I used marzipan instead (recipe linked above). I substituted in direct proportions and kept everything else the same. Thus, I bring you Sour Cherry and Marzipan Turnovers, or as Nick cleverly and snarkily suggested, Sour Cherry and Marzipan Surrenders, in honor of France. Hmm...I don't think the French will forgive that, no matter how much marzipan I make.

This little project took me all day, so we went out for dinner to our favorite little French bistro, Cave Vin, for gazpacho and Mussels with Pomme Frites. Vive la France!


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

j.j. said...

Wow...looking great!! How fun to make marzipan. That could be a dangerous thing for me to know how to do - maybe it's good that it takes a while to make!! The cherries are such a beautiful color!! take care and enjoy the turnovers!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails