Monday, July 06, 2009

Fourth of July Tart


Strawberry and Honeyed Chevre Tart

Betsy and Brandon had us over for a 4th of July cookout, so I made this tart for dessert because we got 2 pints of beautiful strawberries in our CSA delivery this week. Their 4 year old daughter is allergic to cows' milk and eggs, so I avoided using any in this recipe (I think she ended up having a freezy pop for dessert, but anyway...). I know we don't usually post recipes (mostly because I don't want to get into any copyrighting trouble), but since I made up this recipe as I went, I thought I'd share it. I will also share the changes I will make next time, as the crust turned out to be too bitter for my taste.

For the crust:

12 oz walnut halves, toasted
1/3 C unsweetened, finely shredded coconut
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp vegetable oil*

In a food processor grind up the walnuts, coconut, and salt to a coarse meal. While the food processor is running, add the oil in a slow drizzle. *Use only enough to get the mix to hold together.


The mix should look like this.

Next, in a 9 inch tart pan, press the crust mix down in an even layer to line the bottom.



Bake at 350 deg F for 8-10 min until set and edges are slightly brown. Remove and let cool to room temp.

For the Filling:

125 g chevre, softened to room temp
1/4 Cup honey
dash rose flower water to taste

Mix all ingredients together with rubber scraper until most lumps are gone.



Pour this mixture over cooled crust and place in the refrigerator while you clean strawberries to allow the chevre mix to set slightly.



After cleaning strawberries, place them on top of the tart in whatever way you like and refrigerate until serving. It would be lovely to use other fresh summer berries as well.

And, as I mentioned above, the crust was too bitter. Next time I would use 8 oz of walnuts and 1 cup of sweetened coconut to take the edge off a bit. One could also use a graham cracker crust to avoid the bitterness of the walnuts altogether. The honeyed chevre with the strawberries was a dreamy flavor combo!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails