Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Smoked Trout Salad with Crunchy Vegetables - Dec 29, 2010


Smoked Trout Salad with Beauty Heart Radishes, Cucumber, and Apple

This recipe is from January 2011's Food & Wine magazine. I was really excited when I came across it because it was very favorably marked, contains our favorite smoked fish, and I had all the ingredients I needed to make it on hand, more or less. The original recipe calls for mackerel, but states any smoked fish can stand in as a substitute, so we used trout. I also used beauty heart radishes instead of regular radishes because we have so many of them from our CSA. And, instead of a Granny Smith I used a HoneyCrisp. I omitted the chives because I cannot bring myself to pay $3 for a little box when they grow like weeds in my yard all summer. I finely sliced a tiny onion instead. With all that taken into consideration, neither Nick nor I cared much for this dish. This came as a pretty big surprise, since we are huge fans of almost anything with smoked fish. Perhaps it was a case of all my crazy substitutions messing things up. All in all, we are much bigger fans of the smoked trout and sunchoke salad from 'Asparagus to Zucchini.' Which reminds me that I just so happen to have some sunchokes on hand.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails