Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Chicken Soup with Dumplings - Dec 29, 2010


Chicken Soup with Whole Wheat Dumplings

Of course, we couldn't get through the holidays without sickness descending upon us. This year Nick caught a nasty cold the week before Christmas. In an effort to help him get better and prevent myself from getting sick I made a batch of chicken soup. I used my favorite "Cheater's Asian Broth" from 'How to Eat Supper,' which involves broiling some onions, ginger, garlic, star anise, and cloves along with black pepper to get them nice and toasty before adding them to your stock. They make the stock flavorful and a little spicy, which I find nice when doing battle with viruses. To the stock I added chicken, carrots, celeriac, and a little fish sauce and let this simmer all day in my trusty crock pot. Just before dinner I made some whole wheat dumplings to add some substance. They certainly accomplished their goal, but next time I will add some fresh herbs to season them a bit. Nick is on the mend and I have thus far managed to avoid catching said virus. Thanks to chicken soup and my beloved apple cider vinegar concoctions,* I'm sure.

*Heat water in a tea kettle to boiling, pour in a mug. To the hot water, add a tsp of apple cider vinegar, a tbsp of honey and the juice of half a lemon. Drink one in the morning and one in the evening (and brush your teeth afterward to protect your enamel from the acidic vinegar). This is my favorite cure all, although Nick is not a fan and thinks I'm a little crazy. Hmm, who was the sick one...?
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails