Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Sunchoke and Cabbage Pizza - April 20, 2010


Roasted Sunchoke and Savoy Cabbage Pizza

I had dog-eared this recipe in Food & Wine a few weeks back. It caught my eye because of the sunchokes. Combine one of my favorite veggies in a pizza and mark it as staff favorite, and it's going to get my attention. It was also one of the rare occasions where I followed directions to the letter, with the exception of peeling the sunchokes (too much work and unnecessary for organic produce, in my opinion). Oh, and I used whole milk instead of skim because that is what I have on hand for making yogurt. Other than that I stuck to the recipe, even picking up Emmental cheese to top.

That said, this was a good pizza, but I thought it a bit bland. Nick added hot sauce to his second helping. Next time I might omit the sunchoke puree altogether and simply use olive oil and fresh herbs for the 'sauce' since the roasted sunchokes on top give it plenty of sunchoke-y flavor. I also think the cabbage and onion mix needs to be spiced up a bit. I might suggest caramelizing the onions before throwing in the cabbage to wilt. And, I would replace the vegetable oil with bacon fat, or at least some good flavored olive oil, just something to boost the flavors a bit. With a little tweaking, I think this could be an outstanding combination of ingredients.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails