Friday, April 16, 2010

Christmas Limas with Avocado and Bacon - April 15, 2010


Christmas Limas, Caramelized Onions, Avocado, Bacon and Mt. Tam Cheese

After an extremely boring week in the kitchen (my apologies Dinner Clubbers), new inspiration finally hit yesterday. I had picked up a bag of Rancho Gordo Christmas Lima Beans at the co-op a couple weeks ago. I was over the moon when I noticed that Linden Hills is now carrying a selection of the heirloom beans. Greg and JJ introduced us to Rancho Gordo a few years back when they were still living in the Bay Area. If you ever get a chance to try some of Rancho Gordo's beans, make sure you do! Anyway, on to dinner...


Rancho Gordo Beans

After cooking the Christmas Limas, which were almost unbelievably tasty on their own, I sauteed a bit (a slice or two) of chopped bacon until it was crispy and had rendered it's fat. I removed it to paper towels and then cooked my sliced onion in the bacon fat until lightly caramelized. Then I piled the beans into bowls, threw in the onions, a cubed fresh avocado, some Cowgirl Creamery Mt. Tam cheese (another Greg and JJ introduction), and the bacon to top everything off. A drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste finished off the dish.

It. Was. So. Good!

F.Y.I. Dinner Clubbers: Christmas Limas are also known as Chestnut Limas, and they do indeed have a hint of chestnut flavor. I also detected a taste similar to that of red kidney beans. That, combined with a starchy consistency reminiscent of a baked potato, makes these some damn good beans, and a special treat.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

j.j. said...

Wow! Very pretty and this dish's picture and great description brought me right back (for a moment or two!) to the CA days. Fun!

Fay Campbell said...

I want. I must have them!
I wonder if the limas in my garden would do.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails