Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Spring Salad and Roast Chicken - April 23, 2010


Spinach Salad with Ramps and Fava Beans Accompanied by Roast Chicken

Due to my preoccupation with dandelion jelly (my second batch is cooling and hopefully setting...I have a good feeling this time), I am behind on meal posts. This is one leftover from last Friday. Much to my delight, the co-op had some Minnesota-foraged ramps last week. I grabbed some, ecstatic at finding some local green things at last. A little further down the aisle, I spied a big basket of Wisconsin-grown spinach. Along with the spinach, I grabbed a handful of fresh fava beans (their tag didn't specify a location, but I'm guessing they were from a little farther away) and this spring salad was born.

I removed the beans from their pods and cooked them for 5 min in boiling water. I chopped the ramps and tossed them, the beans, and the spinach together, dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and seasoned with a healthy amount of grated Pecorino-Romano, a pinch of salt, and some freshly ground pepper. It made me very happy! Next week we get our first CSA delivery and I am hoping that these salads will soon be showing up regularly. We paired the salad with some of the roast mustard-garlic chicken we had left over from an earlier meal.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

j.j. said...

oooo.....spring is here!!! looks like a really yummy dinner. i am looking forward to reading more about Dandilion Jelly, Take 2!

have a great week!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails