Monday, August 29, 2011

Jess & Nick's CSA Delivery #9 - Aug 25, 2011



Oh wow, sorry for the long absence Dinner Clubbers! August has been hectic...the good kind of hectic where you try and squeeze everything into a waning summer. I feel terrible that this post is so delinquent. Let's just dive right in, shall we? Last Thursday I picked up our ninth box of veggies. It was HEAVY. I'm guessing it was over 30 pounds, and could have easily been 40, of fresh, green goodness. The biggest contributor to that weight was a beautiful, ripe and sweet watermelon, pictured in the top left corner. Right after taking these pictures I cut it open to find bright, cool, yellow flesh that was almost devoid of seeds. It was so sweet and juicy that I think I ate nearly half of it while cutting it up to put in the fridge. Moving on down the line, we also received green and yellow beans; vitamin greens; some charming goose-necked yellow summer squash; edamame; another melon, this one much smaller; tomatoes; onions; peppers; and cucumbers. Not pictured, but also a big contributor to building up my biceps carrying this box to the car, were six ears of sweet corn; potatoes; and Thai basil (the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back?).

Now, lest you be thinking, '30 pounds! What's this wuss complaining about?,' I should mention that I also had 25 pounds of Roma tomatoes to pick up, as I purchased one of the produce plus options offered by our amazing CSA. Yeah, and I made one trip, one, with nearly 60 pounds of awkward produce, to my car parked two blocks away. I almost didn't make it. It wasn't my finest moment, but all's well that ends well.

And look, look what I did with those tomatoes!




















It's my first tomato canning experience.  Even though I've wanted to put up tomatoes for the last three summers, I've never made the time until now. Twenty-five pounds of Romas gave me 12 quarts of tomatoes, with about five tomatoes left over. This should hold us through the entire Minnesota winter. I've had a very self-satisfied feeling, bordering on smugness, for the past several days now.

A huge thank you, a bit delayed but no less sincere, to all the good folks at Harmony Valley Farm!  You've truly outdone yourselves this week.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails