Tuesday, August 30, 2011

August Favorites - 2011



In an attempt to catch up with my blogging, I thought I'd combine two meals today. More than likely you've seen these both pop up here before, but they're so good they're worth revisiting. The first is fresh sweet corn salad. This is a recipe I have scribbled down on a loose piece of paper, written while my sister verbally recounted it to me. It involves three ears of fresh sweet corn, boiled very briefly (1-2 minutes...you could probably omit this step if you knew your corn was picked within the last 12 hours), kernels cut off the cob. A tomato, chopped; half a red onion, diced; a handful of fresh parsley, chopped; 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar; a dash of olive oil; salt and pepper to taste. The recipe also calls for a dash of hot sauce, but I usually omit this. Stir everything together and you have yourself a beautiful and bright bowl of summer.  Actually you have two bowls, or four if it's used as a side.  Double up for larger groups.



Another bowl full of summer is my favorite, gazpacho. I've blogged about this ad nauseum before, so check it out here if you're interested. It's so unbelievably delicious, and it always makes me think of the very first time I made gazpacho, for a high school Spanish class project. Back then, the idea of a cold soup seemed so strange and exotic. I fell in love at first bite and have never looked back.

Mmmm...enjoy these fleeting days of summer, my friends!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails