Monday, June 13, 2011

Spring Turnips: Roots and Greens - June 8, 2011



It seems that I have a bit of catching up to do since this meal, originally planned for last Monday but rescheduled due to an errant heat wave, dates back to last Wednesday. By Wednesday things had finally cooled off enough around here to allow for stove top cooking. Think I'm being overly dramatic? Check out our back yard thermometer as of last Tuesday evening.




It hit 102 F here in Minneapolis.  'F' is right!  I was not turning on lights, let alone the stove if I could help it.  Lucky for us Northerners, heat waves never seem to stick around too long and by Wednesday night I was able to open windows to let in the cool, dry breeze, and finally cook my turnips. 

This recipe is tried and true, from one of my favorite publications: 'Asparagus to Zucchini.'  It's a lovely recipe because it incorporates both the roots and greens of the turnips conveniently into one delicious dish.  You can check out last year's version of this recipe right here. As always, I substituted a different dried fruit for the raisins.  This year I again threw in some currants.  We kept it simple this time around and omitted adding any grains or pasta, opting to go for pure turnip goodness.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails