Friday, June 24, 2011

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos with Mango Salsa - June 23, 2011



Yesterday was unseasonably cool and overcast here in Minneapolis, a perfect day to spend in the kitchen, which I did. Despite the weather, or maybe because of it, I was craving a vibrant, tropical meal. My plan fell into place as I started to whip up some mango salsa.



My mango salsa is one chopped mango, which was probably a little riper than it should have been for this application; one quarter of a finely chopped large red onion; one quarter cup of chopped fresh cilantro; the juice of one lime; and a teaspoon of white vinegar. I seasoned this with a little salt and refrigerated for about an hour to let the flavors combine.



Next, I decided to utilize one of our many sweet potatoes that we've been storing since last fall. I was pleased to see that the supply is indeed dwindling. We probably only have one quarter of a metric shit ton* left to use up. As you can tell from the above picture, I cut the potato into bite sized cubes. I mixed these with some coconut oil (please try this combination...it's amazing) and roasted them in a 425 F oven for 30 minutes, stirring once, halfway through.

These I mixed with some black beans that I had cooked and put in the freezer, some grated cheese, and some avocado and put it all in a flour tortilla to make a burrito. The burritos were good, especially with the coconut sweet potatoes, but the unquestionable star of the meal was the mango salsa. It was so flavorful and tropical...the perfect antidote to a cloudy, 60 degree, late June day.

*'shit ton' is my favorite arbitrary unit of measure.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails