Monday, June 06, 2011

Roasted Beet Salad - June 5, 2011


I could have sworn that I hated beets. I remember eating them as a child and I thought they tasted terrible. Either I've grown up and my tastes have changed, or the beets I was eating back then weren't prepared in a very tasty way. Probably a bit of both!

These were beets from this week's CSA delivery. I found a recipe in one of my Cook's Illustrated, but decided to tweak it slightly to make it a chilled salad. I think that is the key to tasty beets - the flavor mellows into a delicious sweetness when chilled.

First I roasted the beets in the oven. I scrubbed them, wrapped them in tin foil, and placed them in a baking pan at 400 degrees for about an hour. Then I let them cool completely, peeled and sliced them, and then put them in the refrigerator so they'd be even colder.

For the dressing I mixed some chopped dill, a chopped shallot, about a tablespoon of lemon juice, a tablespoon of red wine vinegar, some salt and pepper, and olive oil (about 5-6 tablespoons). I tossed the beets with the dressing, then layered them over mixed greens from our patio garden and topped with chopped walnuts.

Unbelievably delicious!

1 comment:

Jess said...

Beets...so good. And you're right, they are excellent served cold. I also think the sharpness and tang of vinegar really balances their earthy sweetness. Love it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails