Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Cold Chicken Salad with Greens - June 6, 2011




I had grand plans of cooking up our spring turnips the other night, but could not bring myself to turn on the stove as it was a record setting 97 degrees out. So much for our colder than normal spring here in Minneapolis. It seems we are making up for months of below normal temperatures in just a couple of days. Chicken salad, using up the leftover chicken from Nick's grilled meal, was my plan B. I briefly searched for a recipe online, but in the end just decided to wing it (he he).

Here is a loose description (certainly not a recipe) of what I did. I shredded the leftover chicken, about 3 cups worth, into a bowl. To the bowl I added one chopped green garlic, one chopped green onion, one chopped ramp, and four French breakfast radishes, sliced into coins. Next I added a handful of slivered almonds and approximately 1/4 cup of chopped dried apricots. I braved the brutal heat to run to the back yard and snip four small sprigs of fresh tarragon, which I chopped and threw into the mix as well. I tossed in some kosher salt and freshly ground pepper and then mixed everything together with 2/3 cup of plain yogurt and about 2 - 3 Tbsp of mayonnaise.

I let this concoction chill until Nick got home. To serve I added some of our salad greens to bowls and piled the chicken salad on top. It was cool, I didn't have to turn on any appliances, and to my delight it was quite tasty. 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jaime said...

I had a chicken salad sandwich today at the Cleveland farmer's market that sounds very similar except they put in toasted pine nuts. It was very good!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails