Friday, June 03, 2011

Jaime's CSA Delivery #2 - June 2, 2011


I picked up my second summer CSA share from Olin-Fox Farms in Reedville, Virginia yesterday and am trying to figure out how to use it over the next two weeks... two weeks that include two out-of-town trips for me and one for Richie and two yoga teacher training weekends! I think there is only one night that we will both be home at dinner time... Need to plan some dishes that will refrigerate well!

This week's delivery had one item I recognized immediately and was thrilled to see: raspberries! I so miss my dad's epic size raspberry patch in Wisconsin. True, toward the end of July the task of picking them started to feel more like a chore, but still a delicious chore. I ate several before even leaving the pick-up location (which is my lovely yoga studio Pure Prana in Alexandria, Virginia - shout out!) and was immediately transported back to summer days picking raspberries, popping nearly as many berries in my mouth as went in the bowl.

The rest of this week's share includes kohlrabi, turnips, beets, fennel, broccoli, snow peas, eggs, oregano, and garlic scapes. I recognized almost everything this time, except for the garlic scapes! That one is new to me. I'm also not sure what to do with the fennel. I have worked with it in the past and I think the licorice flavored veggie is an acquired taste I don't have. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Jess said...

I love garlic scapes grilled or used in recipes in place of garlic or shallots. They have a nice, mild garlic flavor. I am also a big fan of fennel. It adds a great crunch chopped up in cold salads. If you're not big on the anise flavor, use the bulb only, as it is the mildest part (as compared to the stalks and fronds). Nick just stumbled upon a recipe for fennel pesto...I will ask him to email it to you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails