Thursday, July 15, 2010

CSA Veggie Delivery - July 15, 2010


Vibrant Veggies

Our latest delivery has arrived despite truck malfunctions! Wow, it's a beautiful assortment. We have the always dapper savoy cabbage with it's lovely ruffled leaves. Cabbage is so versatile and shows up in many different cuisines...European, Asian and Mexican to name a few. Next up are the beautiful amaranth greens, used a lot in Caribbean dishes, including one of Nick's favorites...pepperpot soup; Norland potatoes with the red skin, which, along with some other varieties, are the featured vegetable this week complete with some great looking recipes in the Harmony Valley Farm newsletter; yellow and green beans, which I'm super excited to eat simply blanched with some olive oil and kosher salt; a huge variety of cucumbers including this ghostly white beauty, which have an incredible number of uses such as keeping slugs away from your garden (although I prefer mine in a Pimm's cup); summer squash, including a cute yellow pattypan and a large stripey zucchini; sweet Spanish onions; green top carrots (I am in love with steeping the greens in hot water to make green top iced tea); and some snow peas playing peek-a-boo with the sunlight.

An extra special thank you goes out to the HVF crew today! They managed to deliver these amazing veggies despite a truck breakdown this morning. I know everyone worked harder and was under more stress today and I just want you all to know how much we appreciate it. You guys ROCK!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

j.j. said...

Such a beautiful variety...great pictures and descriptions too! We received our box today too ( I like that we are on the same schedule as I thought about you and I unpacking the bounty at the same time!) and am so above-and-beyond-grateful for the CSA deliveries. It feels like Christmas as a kid every two weeks. Our fruit share this time is....cherries!...and after reading the previous post, I have a new plan! Thanks for all the ideas you present on your blog...it's a great resource. OK, I have rambled enough. Only one more thing...I like your new blog look too! Have a good weekend....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails