Friday, October 02, 2009

Thai Zucchini Bread - Sept 30, 2009


Zucchini Bread topped with Peanuts, Lime Zest, Toasted Coconut, and Crystallized Ginger

To round out Thai Week, I thought I would share my Thai-themed Zucchini bread. A couple weeks ago I used this recipe from 101 cookbooks, to make a zucchini bread flavored with curry powder. On her blog, Heidi also mentions fun variations to her recipe including one using Ras Al Hanout, and a suggestion for one with Thai flavors. Since I had lots of fresh Thai ingredients, and just enough zucchini left for one more loaf, I decided to try my hand at it. I made my own Thai based spice blend including chopped fresh kaffir lime leaves*, star anise, cumin, coriander, and cayenne, and used this in place of curry powder. And, instead of cinnamon, I used Chinese Five Spice powder from Penzey's. I switched in peanuts in place of walnuts, although if I'd had any in the house, I would have used cashews instead. Toasted coconut replaces the poppy seeds, and lime zest pinch hits for lemon. This turned out really well, and is a fun and unexpected combination of flavors. Perfect to have with a warm cup of tea on a chilly day.

*fresh chopped lemon grass would be a fun alternative if kaffir lime leaves are difficult to find.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails