Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Pumpkin Sausage Ragout over Soba - Oct 26, 2009


Pumpkin and Sausage Ragout with Fennel over Buckwheat Soba

This was a little experiment last night that might need a little tweaking yet. I wanted to use up the 2/3rds can of pureed pumpkin I had in the fridge and came up with this idea. Since pumpkin puree is similar in texture to tomato paste why not use it as a base for a pasta sauce, thought I? I sauteed some onions until soft, added some ground pork with fennel seed, added some sliced fennel bulb, salt and pepper to taste, and then poured in the pumpkin along with some water to get the right consistency. I threw in a bit of fresh sage at the end and we had it over soba noodles. The flavor was good, especially the layering of the fennel seed with the fennel bulb. It might need a bit of acidity...apple cider vinegar perhaps? I will definitely add more salt and pepper and perhaps try over regular spaghetti noodles next time.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails