Thursday, October 15, 2009

Chickpea and Spinach Stew - Oct 13, 2009


Chickpea and Spinach Stew over Brown Basmati Rice

This is an old favorite of mine from Food & Wine awhile back. It's hearty and satisfying. The magazine ranks it as healthy, fast, vegetarian (actually vegan), and a staff favorite. Not many recipes score in all four categories, so this is a winner. I make a few changes when we have it. I substitute smoked Spanish paprika (pimenton de La Vera) for the sweet paprika because I love the earthy smokiness it brings to the dish. Also, I sub in currants for the golden raisins. I have a weird textural issue with raisins when they soak up liquid. Currants are smaller so they don't bother me, and still add that balancing sweetness. And, we always have it over rice instead of crusty bread.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails