Friday, October 30, 2009

Almond Milk - Oct 29, 2009


Almonds Soaking

I love almond milk. I like to add a little cinnamon and call it 'horchata.' Horchata can be made from several different base ingredients. Many people like to use rice, I happen to prefer almonds. I saw directions on how to make homemade almond milk on Instructables, and thought I'd give it a try. You can link above for detailed directions with pictures if you'd like to try for yourself.


Strangely Plump Almonds

First you have to soak your almonds over night, which makes them look swollen and puffy. Then you put them in a blender or food processor to make a ground almond mash.


Almond Mash

This smells vaguely reminiscent of Elmers Glue, at least I thought so. Next you strain out the liquid using a cheese cloth or some such thing.


Straining

And finally, after adding water, you have a pitcher of fresh homemade almond milk to sit in your fridge to 'bloom' before adding sweetener and other optional flavorings.


Horchata!

All through this project I had that new Vampire Weekend song in my head...'Horchata.' I didn't think it was possible, but I love Vampire Weekend even more now. Here's a link to their site where you can download the song for free if you want.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails