Thursday, April 21, 2011

Udon with Smoked Mushrooms - April 21, 2011



Some of you Dinner Clubbers might be aware that I am a voracious thrifter. I love hitting up the local thrift stores looking for all manner of things, but dare I say my favorite things to thrift are kitchen items. Last week I scored a brand new, still-in-the-box, never-been-used stove top smoker...for $10. Yeah, I was excited. To test it out I decided to try my hand at smoked mushrooms. I found a little 'how-to' posted here and got to work. The smoking definitely gave the mushrooms a lot of flavor. I'm not sure it was exactly the flavor I expected, but expertise will come with experimentation. This was a good start. I decided to highlight the mushrooms in an udon noodle dish complete with pan roasted broccoli, poached egg, and a little hoisin sauce. Everything was very flavorful. Nick and I are both excited to play with the smoker in the weeks ahead. Nick especially is looking forward to trying his hand at fish. Speaking of, we are starting a new routine at our house involving a once per week 'fish night' planned and cooked (and blogged about) entirely by Nick. It's going to be a lot of fun, so keep your eyes peeled for some fun fish posts courtesy of Nick!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails