Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chicken and Wild Rice Salad - April 12, 2011





















Here's another recipe I snagged off of that list from the Kitchn. I changed it up a bit to suit our pantry. First off, we live in Minnesota, so there's no way I'm going to be using a wild rice mix from a box. We grow that sh*t here, so I made real, Minnesota-grown wild rice. Next, instead of green grapes, I used dried cranberries, dried currants and a fresh Pink Lady apple to add sweetness and crunch. The slivered almonds kept their place. The chicken breast was poached (leftover from the Hainanese Chicken recipe) and shredded and everything was mixed together with some canola-based mayonnaise and salt and pepper to taste. I actually made this up the night before (with the exception of the apples, which I added right before we ate) and let it chill in the fridge overnight. We ate it cold and it was delicious. It's kind of a heartier, grainier version of the chicken salad we're all familiar with, minus the curry if you happen to make yours that way.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails