Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hartman Garden Update - April 10, 2011


I probably could have finished planting the container garden this weekend because the weather forecast is solidly above freezing now, but since I have yoga training this weekend I decided to wait until next when I can take my time getting organized and deciding what exactly we want to grow.

In the mean time the early stuff is growing like crazy! I can't wait until the onions are big enough that I can just pull one whenever I need a green onion in a recipe. I hate buying scallions at the store because I never seem to use them up before they get slimy.

The miscellaneous flowering things in and around our house are in their full spring glory too. The famous DC cherry blossoms are nearing the end of their blooming period, but the ubiquitous Bradford Pears will be flowering for a while longer. In our little back yard we have an apple tree, pear tree, and peach tree. To our surprise, the peach tree has been by far the most successful. This picture is of just one piece of it, taken from our second floor deck. Last year virtually every flower turned into a peach and we actually had a couple limbs break under the weight. If we knew what we were doing, we'd have pruned it properly to keep that from happening. But we enjoy just watching it grow and eating what we can!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails