Thursday, April 07, 2011

Minneapolitan Pizza - April 7, 2011




















Cast Iron Skillet Pizza

These are a couple of things we've been meaning to try for awhile. Namely, pizza made in a cast iron skillet, and with a fried egg. We combined the two the other night to unbelievably delicious results. I came across the method for making a skillet pizza over here at Kitchen Konfidence, a great, new-to-me food blog. Brandon has inspiring ideas, beautiful photos and is a fellow lover of the homemade happy hour. You should check him out, if you haven't already. Once I found this skillet pizza method, I passed it on to Nat and Jamie who are always looking for ways to recreate Punch Pizza, our beloved local Neapolitan-style pizza restaurant, at home in Portland. Well, it passed their test. They've been making it repeatedly and urging us to try it as well. We finally did and it was amazing! After pre-heating the skillet, this only takes about two minutes to cook under the broiler. Frankly, I think my pizza stone just became obsolete.






















I had wanted to make a batch of dough according to a recipe from Punch Pizza to make this extra authentic, but their dough takes six hours to rise and I didn't plan ahead. Instead I just made my regular pizza dough recipe and it turned out tasty, but not quite as light and airy as Punch. The fried egg was super fun. I just cracked it on top of the pizza right before I slipped it under the broiler. Just a bit of a heads-up, if you aren't a fan of a runny yolk this probably is not for you. Nick and I, however, loved how the yolk intermixed with the cheese and sauce once we sliced the pizza.

**For some reason my pictures disappear as soon as I close Picassa.  I'm not sure what's up with that, but I'll work on fixing it.  Sorry!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails