Friday, January 08, 2010

Falafel Sandwiches - Jan 7, 2010


Falafel with Yogurt Sauce and Spinach on Whole Wheat Pitas

I found this recipe while perusing my 10 year old copy of 'The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook' (it's still one of my standbys) earlier this week. Nick and I both love falafel. It's so simple to make, I don't know how it is that we've never made it before. Yesterday was the day. I just put a drained can of garbanzo beans in the food processor, along with 2 garlic cloves, a small chopped onion and some cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes and salt and hit the on button. After my garbanzo mix was smooth I formed into small patties and fried them up on the stove top. Throwing them into a pita with some greens and a lemon-garlic yogurt mix (I'm not a fan of tahini sauce) made for a really tasty dinner. My one complaint is that the falafels didn't get very crispy. I think deep frying would solve that, for any of you that might own a Fry Daddy...and you know who you are. The flavor, however, was spot on.


New Glarus Crack'd Wheat

And another Wisconsin treat with dinner. Nick picked it out especially for me as he knows of my fondness for wheat beers. If you're lucky enough to find yourself in Wisconsin, I would highly recommend trying this beer.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

j.j. said...

Hey J and N! Your falafel dinner looked yummy! I don't know if this would work for homemade (!) falafel patties as we usually just use the Fantastic Foods bulk mixes, but we form the patties, brush each side with olive oil and bake for 10 or so min per side in a 400 degree oven. The outside does get crispy, and the inside dry-ish, but that is quickly remedied by the yogurt sauce. Either that or....panko(?), or like you said, Mr. Fry Daddy! :) Anyway, fun post!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails