Thursday, March 04, 2010

Wild Rice Breakfast Cereal - March 3, 2010


Wild Rice and Mixed Grain Cereal with Currants and Figs

This is a breakfast that I have been enjoying all week. The recipe came from my wild rice search and sounded too good to pass up, even though it wasn't dinner. I modified this recipe, substituting currants and dried figs for raisins and dates. I really wish we would have had dates on hand, because I cannot even imagine how good this would be with them. The figs made for a good alternative in a pinch, although the ones I had weren't as sweet or juicy as dates. I also cooked this in a crock pot because I was using my oven for some other task. The crock pot took longer, but I think the end product turned out quite delicious. This made a large quantity, but it's easy to keep in the refrigerator and reheat for a super satisfying breakfast complete with a dollop of fresh, homemade yogurt. It's fun to mix up some whole grains once in awhile, just in case oatmeal is starting to get boring.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

City Girl said...

LOVE this idea! How long did you cook it in the crockpot? Did you still pre-cook the rice?

Jess said...

Oh City Girl, it is soo good! I did still pre-cook the rice as directed. And in the crock pot, I'm guessing it took about 3 - 4 hours on high? I just kept checking it and giving it a little stir until I thought it looked right (water absorbed, creamy consistency). I hope you give it a try.

City Girl said...

I finally tried this - put it all in the crockpot on lo overnight and it was perfect in the morning! Thanks for a great new breakfast idea!!! :-D

Jess said...

Yay! Cheers to new breakfast ideas!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails