Wednesday, March 24, 2010

High Fructose Corn Syrup Research

An interesting article about some Princeton research studying the effects of High Fructose Corn Syrup on lab rats. While I'm reserving any judgment at this point since I haven't read the actual research study and don't know the details of it's methods and statistical analysis, I am excited about the fact that this is being looked into from a scientific perspective by independent sources. Hopefully this leads to more research on the subject, and improvement in our understanding of it's complexities.

In the meantime, if like me, you are trying to limit your consumption of HFCS until our understanding of it is better, cooking food, especially the sweet treats, from scratch, at home, helps considerably. Alternatives to many standard products are also available on store shelves if one looks. Two of my favorite HFCS-free products are Whole Foods 365 brand tonic water and Blue Sky brand sodas.

Research article found via the Kitchn.

1 comment:

Fay Campbell said...

I'll let you read the research and tell me about it. I have a picture somewhere of my college roommate and me, our arms around each other. In her free hand was a bottle of Jack Danniels and in my free hand a bottle of karo syrup. I could drink the stuff straight (either of them) and makes me think it must be very bad for me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails