Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Crab Cakes - September 12, 2011


Last month Richie brought me some amazing crab cakes from a hidden out-of-the-way place in the Baltimore area. I have been craving them ever since. Unfortunately, since corn is an ingredient in most crab cakes by way of the bread crumbs and mayonnaise I knew that I would probably need to make my own in order to revisit that taste. To my great surprise, these crab cakes were not only tasty but easy!

I referred to a recipe in the Cook's Illustrated New Best Recipe to get me started and then modified for taste and allergies. First, I made sure to use Whole Foods 365 brand breadcrumbs and substituted Vegannaise for the mayonnaise. Then I tweaked the seasonings. Old Bay Seasoning contains celery which I'm still avoiding, so I used Penzey's 4/S Seasoned Salt. I used fresh dill as well as four green onions from the patio garden and added in a bit of a green pepper from our plant that broke off in the hurricane.

Finally, I needed some kind of sauce. I adore tartar sauce, but didn't have corn-free pickles on hand to make it. Instead, I mixed some more Vegannaise with some fresh parsley and thyme - also from the patio garden - and a squeeze of lemon juice.

Voila! Delicious, corn and celery free crab cakes! Definitely a dish I will make again.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails