Friday, May 28, 2010

Waffles with Rhubarb and Blood Orange Compote - May 28, 2010


Sourdough Waffles with Rhubarb-Blood Orange Compote and Yogurt

It's a bittersweet Friday treat this week. This was Natalie and Jamie's send-off meal on their last morning as Minneapolis residents. They are on their way West where they will join up with (what seems like too many of) our friends and family living in the Portland area. We miss them all so much. Okay, enough of the bitter...on to the sweet. I made the compote by combining the remainder of our CSA rhubarb with about 4 blood oranges, rinds and all, and cooking them together in a sauce pot until the rhubarb softened. It ended up being about 10 - 12 minutes of simmering. I added about two tbsp of local wildflower honey to sweeten it up a bit. After this cooled, I pureed everything and ended up with roughly two cups of this lovely salmon colored (but not flavored) compote. The waffles are another recipe from Family Meals, but I substituted whole wheat pastry flour for the all-purpose. Topped with homemade yogurt and the rhubarb mixture, these made for a delicious breakfast.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Chip said...

This looks amazing and I want a TASTE!!! I should whip this up for Rori and family for tomorrow's breakfast except that I don't have the rhubarb OR the blood oranges!! Oh well, maybe I'll just show them the picture. Happy Memorial Day! nan

j.j. said...

so pretty~ i like the waffle design!!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails