Thursday, February 18, 2010

Kale and Sunchoke Hash - Feb 17, 2010


Kale, Sunchoke, Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Hash with Bulgar

I LOVED this dinner. It was so hearty and delicious. The earthy kale and mushrooms and chewy bulgar wheat played perfect background to sweet caramelized onions echoed by the subtle, polysaccharin sweetness of the sunchokes. Sunchokes really are one of my favorite foods. They have a flavor all their own that adds an extra dimension to a dish. A perfect mix of earthy and sweet, rich yet light, that I haven't come across anywhere else. They are in season now in the Mid-west, like the rest of the root veggies. We used some from our CSA, but I've seen them regularly in the co-op the last few weeks. I would strongly recommend trying them in this recipe from Food & Wine. The only changes I made were substituting bulgar for farro and using white button instead of crimini mushrooms.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Fay Campbell said...

I will be doing this. Well, not this exactly, because that would mean following a recipe. But I'll put these ingredients together. Sounds yum. And the old man loves the bulgar.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails