Monday, July 11, 2011

A True Wisconsin Old Fashioned - July 9th, 2011

 
Homemade Old Fashioneds

What have Nick and I done with all that booze we brought back from Madison, you ask?  Well, over the weekend I tried my hand at mixing an Old Fashioned the way they do at The Old Fashioned.  I should clarify that I like to have my Old Fashioned made to order for me off the 'Build your Own' menu.  I take mine with Old Sugar Honey Liqueur, Bittercube Cherry-Bark Vanilla bitters, fruit garnish, and finished with a 'press,' which I understand to be half soda water and half soda pop, but I'm not exactly sure.  I personally call it the 'Jess.'  Here at home, with the supplies I had on hand, the best I could do was this:

2 oz Old Sugar Cane & Abe rum
3 dashes Bittercube Cherry-Bark Vanilla bitters
2 tsp turbinado sugar
1 maraschino cherry, 1 sour cherry, and a wedge of blood orange
soda water
1 tbsp simple syrup

I muddled the fruit with the sugar and bitters in the bottom of the glass; poured in the rum; added crushed ice, simple syrup, and soda water to fill the glass.

These were very tasty, but they were no 'Jess.'  Oh well, another reason to go back and visit Madison.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails