Monday, July 25, 2011

Cherries Part II: Pie - July 22, 2011



Jaime's delicious looking peach pie inspired me to bake my own on Friday. I had just exactly enough cherries harvested from our front yard tree to make a pie. For about 30 minutes I was paralyzed with indecision, as this would use up all of this year's cherries. Should I find a way to stretch them out? Make jam to enjoy them longer? In the end I decided to put all my eggs in one basket, so to speak. It was a good decision.



My crust turned out perfectly. As usual, I used my Better Homes and Gardens New Baking Book recipe for a double pie crust, but instead of shortening, I used a combination of lard and butter in equal quantities. The butter adds delicious flavor and the lard is hard to beat for flakiness (my Grandma knew what she was doing).  I was especially thrilled with how my scalloped edges turned out this time around. They finally look like an adult made this pie versus a four year old (my normal results).



The cherries were amazing...so deliciously tart. I've never enjoyed a pie more than this little cherry number. Some of you may know that I am learning to like pie late in life, as traditionally I have been firmly on Team Cake.  This pie has me rethinking my allegiance. 

When Nick arrived home Friday evening he was pleased that I had decided to observe 'Pi(e) Approximation Day' by baking his favorite kind. Yes, Dinner Clubbers, now you don't have to wait until March 14th (3.14) to celebrate Pi Day, you can double up the festivities by enjoying pie on 7/22 as well, because 7 divided by 22 comes darn close to 3.14. Just a little something special for all you pie loving math nerds out there. You're welcome.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jaime said...

I'm on Team Pie too. But only good pie. I'd rather eat good cake than bad pie ("bad" pie is subjective but it includes soggy or tough crust and overly sweet filling).

This is definitely a good pie! Looks fantastic!

Chip said...

What a beautiful pie made with Anniversary Tree cherries. Such a crop you had this year, yeah! n

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails