Thursday, January 20, 2011

Spiced Lentils with Mushrooms and Greens - Jan 10, 2011


Spiced Lentils with Mushrooms and Greens

This recipe is from February's Food & Wine, which incidently Dinner Clubbers, has a full spread on our favorite Madison eatery, L'Etoile, complete with pictures on lovely Lake Mendota and many tasty recipes from Chef Tory Miller. I squealed in delight upon seeing it! Nick will verify that in case any of you doubt me. It's awesome and I'm so happy to see some glossy-paged culinary magazine love going out to my favorite little Midwest college town.

Okay, back to the dish at hand. This is not one of the L'Etoile recipes, but I still had high hopes because it was designated as a staff favorite. It was good, but not knock-my-socks off good. It's basically just lentil soup with the addition of mushrooms. Calling it 'spiced' is a stretch, since I felt it could have used significantly more cumin and coriander than it called for. Also, I'm a bit confused because the photo in the magazine makes this look like a fairly dry bowl of lentils, but I even cut back on the water called for and mine turned out like a soup, which is fine, just different than expected. So, if you go pick up a copy of this month's F&W, and you definitely should, you can skip this recipe and flip right to the L'Etoile article.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails