Thursday, January 27, 2011

Roast Pork Shoulder with Fennel Salad - Jan 20, 2011


Roast Pork Shoulder with Fennel and Grapefruit Salad

Some of you might remember that I excitedly mentioned the article in February's Food & Wine on L'Etoile last week. This meal is comprised of recipes from that article, straight from my beloved Madison eatery! Since I had to work, I opted to change up the pork recipe slightly so that I could cook it in the crock pot during the day. I skipped the overnight brining, switched the cut from a loin to a shoulder, and omitted some of the liquid. I did, however, stay true to the fantastic mix of spices, including star anise, fennel, coriander, cloves, allspice, and juniper berries. The end result turned out deliciously, despite all my changes. The fennel salad was a perfect accompaniment, with the fresh fennel echoing the fennel seeds used to spice the meat. Nick and I made this following the recipe exactly. I can't tell you how fun it was to cook up a little piece of Madison, right in our own kitchen.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails