Thursday, May 05, 2011

Beet and Wild Rice Salad - May 3, 2011



This meal was an attempt to use up some of our CSA root vegetables from last season in time to clear out some fridge space for our first CSA delivery of 2011, which is today Dinner Clubbers! I can't believe it, especially when I look outside and see that our trees don't even have leaves yet here in Minnesota. I'm telling you, Harmony Valley Farm is amazing. Okay, on to the beets. I boiled them until they were fork tender and then peeled them when cool enough to handle. Once peeled, I sliced them into half inch coins and placed them on a bed of wild rice. I topped the beets with some toasted hazelnuts, chevre cheese, quick-pickled onions and some fresh oregano leaves that I scrounged up in the back yard. We drizzled our dishes with some orange infused olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. This was a happy combination of flavors with the earthy rice and beets playing nicely with the richness of the cheese and nuts and everything complimented perfectly by the sharpness and bite of the onions.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jaime said...

We are getting a summer CSA this year with the first box in two weeks. I can't wait!

Your salad sounds delicious... I've recently come around to beets. I think my only childhood experience with them was the pickled variety and I never liked that. But I had a fantastic asparagus and beet salad at a hotel last month and want to recreate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails