Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Ramp and Nettle Pesto Pasta - May 25, 2011



As I alluded to, I decided to make a pesto with some of our ramp leaves. The recipe I used, from the Perennial Plate, also incorporates nettles, much to my delight. Quite frankly, I like using up some of the more obscure vegetables from our CSA box as quickly as possible, since otherwise they tend to get shoved to the back of the fridge and I find them weeks later, a brown, soupy mess.  So, along with the dandelion and burdock soda in yesterday's post, I am happy to report that we have now utilized both of the veggies I was worried about this week.  I did have to make some substitutions to the pesto because I didn't have some of the other foraged greens listed, so I threw in some of our saute mix greens to round out our version. And, because of how I planned on using it, I also added some toasted walnuts and Pecorino-Romano cheese.



It turned out lovely and vibrant with a light, green, garlicky flavor. We used ours to top pasta, along with some additional cheese and a handful of saute greens. The result was tasty, and mild compared to traditional pesto. As you can see from the bowl, I made quite a bit and we have leftovers. My plan is to use some for a pizza sauce as Daniel did in the original recipe.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jaime said...

That looks delicious!

I haven't created anything worth blogging yet, but I've been eating the radishes on my hearty breakfast sandwiches every morning - and happily too! They actually add a nice bit of zing that I quite like. I also used some in a potato salad today and it was delish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails