Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Quinoa and Spinach Salad - May 9, 2011


In a quest to make a new meatless meal that utilized some of the veggies and herbs I'm growing on the patio, I played around with the Google recipe search. I first searched for quinoa since I determined the super-grain was going to be my base, then added spinach since I have just enough left growing for one more meal. It was fun eliminating the ingredients I didn't have or didn't want to use and seeing what was suggested... (Tilapia? No. Feta? Why, that sounds delightful! Dill? Excellent idea!). I ended up with this recipe for Spinach and Feta Quinoa Cooking on a blog named Closet Cooking.

I made a few changes to the procedure and would make even more if I made it again. First, I questioned the order in which he adds ingredients to the pot. I didn't like the idea of adding the spinach before the quinoa. It just didn't seem like my precious, delicate baby spinach should be cooked to oblivion! So, I waited to add it until after the quinoa was done cooking. I'm glad I did, because the fresh herbs had been cooked almost to nothing. I added more fresh parsley and dill right before serving and wished I had more spinach to add at that time too because it had wilted way too much. If I did it again, I'd cook and then cool the quinoa before adding any of the herbs or the spinach.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails