Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Zucchini Bread - Sept 9, 2009


Zucchini Bread

Natalie gave me a rather large zucchini from her garden last week. Here I have to pause to give props to Nat for tending a garden when her lack of yard would seem to deter such activities...way to be resourceful! Just in time for me to do some more baking, as I had finished up my chocolate zucchini bundt cake. I did a quick online search, and this recipe piqued my interest.



Crystallized Ginger

I made my own crystallized ginger because I had ginger left-over from making my ginger simple syrup, which I use to make 'ginger ale', and thought it would be an efficient use. I just strained the ginger pieces out of the syrup, coated with some additional sugar, spread on a baking sheet, and baked at a low temp for 10-15 minutes, checking often.


Pecans, Ginger, Poppy Seeds, and Lemon Zest

A pretty bowl of mix-ins...


...plus some reserved for the top

This made the house smell fantastic! The finished product has a nice warmth from the ginger, and subtle hints of Indian spices from the curry to give it depth, in addition to all the other classic yumminess of zucchini bread. Plus, I love any excuse to use poppy seeds. This is well worth a try.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails