Monday, August 06, 2012

Pressed Sandwiches for a Birthday Picnic - July 20, 2012



Well hello, strangers!  It appears that I have a bit of blogging to catch up on, having been absent of late.  Let's begin back when things started getting busy around here.  My mom and sister share a July 20th birthday (and after this year, they will both share their birthday with my other sister's wedding anniversary...did I mention things have been busy around here?).  To celebrate we all decided to meet in Hastings, MN for a picnic and wine tasting at Alexis Bailly Vineyard.

For the picnic, I made some Italian-style pressed sandwiches.  These are great picnic fare as they are made the night before, easy to transport and require no utensils.  I made the one pictured above with tomatoes, zucchini, basil and fresh mozzarella.  I made a second version for the meat lovers with deli ham, salami, and provolone cheese.

 

I had never been to this winery before, and I loved it.  It's well worth the 45 minute drive from Minneapolis.  Alexis Bailly specializes in sweet and fortified wines, which are excellent for dessert and for mixing up delicious summer sangrias.  The grounds are beautiful with prairie flowers, a sculpture garden, and a host of picnic tables for your convenience.  We all had a lovely afternoon.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Those sandwiches look amazing!

Jess said...

They were quite good. The meat version held up better over time, having nothing in it to make it soggy. When I do this again, I'll probably omit the freshly sliced tomatoes for some sort of prepared tomato spread to keep the bread in dryer condition.

Jaime said...

Or jarred sun dried tomatoes... the little bit of oil would add just the right kind of moisture.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails