Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pineapple Pork Fried Rice - March 15, 2012



Since you all know what Nick and I had for dessert last night, I thought I'd share our dinner as well.  I planned this out the night before, cooking up a batch of brown basmati rice so it could sit in the fridge for 24 hours.  This is the minimum amount of time you need to let the rice sit, although it works even better if you have an extra day or two.  If you try to make fried rice with freshly cooked rice, you get a mushy, clumpy mess.  Ask me how I know.

With the rice made ahead, I began last night's dinner by scrambling some eggs in oil in a hot pan.  Once the eggs were cooked, I removed them from the pan, added more oil, tossed in my rice and fried it for a couple minutes.  After adding the cooked eggs back to the pan, I tossed in some chopped celery, pineapple cubes, and some shredded pork (also pre-cooked).  This fried for another few minutes or so until everything was warmed through.

We seasoned with toasted sesame oil and tamari.  It was pretty good.  I mean, it was no Chinese take-out or anything (probably due to the missing MSG), but it had a mild, fresh flavor.  The pineapple was great and I'm glad I thought to throw in some celery at the last minute, as it brought a welcome color and crunch.  In the future, I may try to remember to have scallions on hand and add a bit of minced, fresh ginger for some added kick.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails