Monday, March 12, 2012

Hartman Garden - March 12, 2012


Remember those seeds I planted last month? They are now honest-to-goodness plants, living on my desk! From left to right, we have beefsteak tomatoes, San Marzano tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, Antoni Romani peppers, and Italian basil.

Officially, the spring planting season for our area is still at least a few weeks off, but it has been so warm this winter/spring (highs in the 70s all week) that my green thumb is really itching! I've actually already planted a few cold-loving things in containers on the deck. Repeating from last year, we've got peas, spinach, lettuce, and arugula. New in the Hartman garden in 2012: radishes, celery, and carrots. We are also prepping some of the yard for our expanding gardening efforts. I'm planning on planting some more peas and also cucumbers along the side of the house. It is south facing and should be pretty good, until the creped myrtle trees fill in. I appreciate the shade when it comes to our cooling bill, but am afraid they will hurt the later season cucumbers. Can't win!

I'm not exactly sure where the tomatoes and peppers are going to end up. We have a few areas sketched out in the backyard but the soil is really sandy and rocky and there is even less sun back there, so I don't know how this will work. Stay tuned!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails