Friday, November 20, 2009

Candied Lemon Peel - Nov 19, 2009


Candied Lemon Peels

I found the instructions for this in December's Bon Appetit, and I was so excited. While I've been crystallizing my own ginger for the past several months (when I make ginger infused simple syrup for homemade ginger ales), I kind of just made that up, so it was good to find a real recipe. Every year I make traditional German cookies at Christmas, things like schokoladenlebkuchen, spitzkuchen, elisenlebkuchen, and zedernbrot, which I learned at a class at Kitchen Window taught by Anita Teigen, and which, in addition to being delectable, are really fun to say out loud. It was a great class, full of Anita's family cookie recipes, and ever since, I've been baking them at Christmas. Usually I have to pick up my ingredients at several places around town, Kitchen Window, Bill's Imported Foods, Kramarczuk Sausage Company, and I've even ordered special items from Bavaria Sausage Company in Madison. This year, however, I'll be using my own, homemade candied lemon peel. I will also do a batch of orange peel using the same method, and more ginger so I am stocked up for December cookie baking. And just a little tip...save the citrus infused simple syrup from this recipe and use it to add to sparkling water for a homemade lemon soda, or to holiday cocktails. Yum!

*I hope everyone has a very happy and delicious Thanksgiving! I won't be blogging next week since I'll be out of town (Nick might post a few, but I can't promise anything). I'll have extra posts when we return to catch you up on our Thanksgiving cooking.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails