Friday, January 06, 2012

New Year's Eve Dinner - Dec 31, 2011



While Jaime welcomed 2012 with prime rib, we said good-bye to 2011 with a New Year's Eve dinner of fish. Steelhead trout to be exact. This year's dinner was a group effort, with Nick cooking the fish, along with the parsnip mash topped with caramelized onions, both of which were delicious. I made the wild rice side, which included dried cranberries, toasted hazelnuts, and a mustard vinaigrette. And Kate, who was our lone remaining house guest post-Christmas holiday, made dessert.



This is Devil's Food Cake with Black Pepper Boiled Icing, which is a recipe from Bon Appetit's September 2011 issue. Kate whipped this up from scratch, in an unfamiliar kitchen, with sub-par tools (I am not much of a baker, my friends, and as such, do not have all the equipment needed for this precision craft...like a third cake pan and a high-quality candy thermometer). Of course, the cake was amazing (as is Kate), and I was excited that my little kitchen torch got some use.

All-in-all, it was a wonderful send off to 2011!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Yum! That dessert sounds amazing. Don't feel bad about not having a third cake pan... I don't even have a first or second cake pan! I put them on my Amazon list this year, but it wasn't one of the gifts my Santas selected. I guess they just have to wait another 12 months to have a cake baked by me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails