Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Brussels Sprouts with Apples and Bacon - Dec, 2011



The December housekeeping continues with this really fun meal that Nick and I enjoyed a few weeks back. It was fun for a number of reasons, the first being that the Brussels sprouts came in one of our last CSA deliveries of the year. And, they came on their stalks! I was so excited when I first learned how Brussels sprouts grow.  It is certainly not clear if you find them as individual bulbs, which is, more often than not, how one finds them. I don't know how I thought Brussels sprouts grew...perhaps like tiny rows of cabbages in the field? Perhaps I didn't much think of Brussels sprouts at all, but regardless, now every time I see them on their stalks it brings a big smile to my face.  This is neither here nor there,  but it's also fun to know how pineapples grow.

The second reason this meal was fun was because it contained very special bacon. My friend Walter made it. That's right, he cured his own bacon, and then gave me some of it. I have to say, it was the best bacon I've ever had. It came my way in a little unsliced chunk, which meant that I got to cut it up however I wanted. I decided on squat little cubes. They fried up into golden, crispy morsels that melted into puddles of bacon goodness on our tongues.  We have good friends.

The recipe came from here, but I traded the tofu for the bacon.  I always feel a little guilty doing that to Heidi's lovely vegetarian recipes, but, come on, it was homemade bacon!  Incidentally, if you click the recipe link, you'll see a beautiful picture of Brussels sprouts on the stalk.  Heidi is a fan too.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails