Monday, October 03, 2011

Corn and Roasted Red Pepper Chowder - Sept 25, 2011



I made this chowder for an impromptu happy hour gathering with friends that Nick and I hosted. It's the perfect soup to bridge that tricky transition from summer to fall. It's made up of the ingredients and flavors of summer, but it has a warmth and heartiness that one starts to crave on cool fall evenings. This is a recipe from my decade old Foster's Market Cookbook. It's a wonderful resource for fresh and healthy comfort food. The soup section is particularly good, as is the dessert section, but that's a story for another day.

I followed the recipe as closely as I was able. I had to omit the celery and leeks and replaced them with extra onions, potatoes, and peppers. Oh, and bacon.  I added some bacon too.  I mean, why not, right?  The corn was deliciously sweet and the roasted red peppers added a not-insignificant kick of heat, which the heavy cream did little to temper. Nevertheless, the heat was welcomed on a chilly night. The sweet and spicy flavors were balanced perfectly by the addition of fresh thyme leaves from the backyard. I forget how much I like that herb.



Here's another picture showcasing my recent thrift store acquisitions. I had to fight back an involuntary squeal when my eyes fell upon this little Catherine Holm pot on the cluttered shelves. I grabbed the matching sauce pan too. And by grabbed, I mean my arm reflexively reached out and snatched it almost before I saw it. Isn't it cute on that red and white potholder? Love.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails